Whether you make your own veggie burger from scratch (check out our article for some tips on how to do that) or use a pre-made variety, there is always a way to make it more exciting!
Here are eight ways to ‘dress’ up your burger that go beyond the standard lettuce, onion, tomato and bun.
What do you love to pile on top of that veggie burger? Share your faves with us!
1. Pizza Burger. Top that burger with marinara sauce, Daiya or Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheese, and some sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers. Add some fresh sliced tomato, too — delicious!
2. Reuben Burger. Pile on the sauerkraut and vegan thousand island dressing (combine 2 tbsp each of ketchup and Earth Balance® Mindful Mayo and 3 tbsp of chopped dill pickles to make this) for a yummy Reuben-style burger.
3. Nacho Burger. Put chopped onions and olives, guacamole, salsa and our creamy nutritional yeast ‘cheese’ sauce (recipe here) on your burger to make it nacho-style.
4. Cheesy ‘Shroom Burger. Cook mushrooms in Earth Balance for a few minutes, then add some chopped garlic and vegan Worcestershire sauce and cook for a few more minutes. Put the ‘shrooms on your burger and top with vegan cheese or creamy ‘cheese’ sauce (use the link above for the nutritional yeast ‘cheese’ sauce recipe).
5. Roasted Garlic Burger. Coat a bulb of garlic (with outer layers peeled away) in olive oil, wrap in tinfoil and let it roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cloves are soft and slip out easily. Mix the garlic cloves with Earth Balance® MindfulMayo™ until well-blended and spread it on the bun. Add some pickles, tomatoes and greens to the burger if you desire.
6. Pesto and Sundried Tomato Burger. Buy vegan pesto or use our recipe and spread that on the bun. Add some chopped sundried tomatoes (the kind packed in olive oil) and olives if you like. You can also add the roasted garlic spread (from number 5) to this.
7. Mashed Potato Burger. Pile some creamy mashed potatoes on your burger, top with crumbled French fried onions and spread a potato bun with cranberry sauce and Earth Balance® MindfulMayo. It’s like Thanksgiving!
8. Sweet ‘n’ Sour Burger. Sauté thinly-sliced cabbage, onions and mushrooms, coat with sweet and sour sauce and put that on your burger with some chopped green scallions. Add some sliced pineapple if you desire.
Oh wow, we are craving a veggie burger right now! And we want to hear your favorite topping ideas so don’t forget to share them in the comments section!
And remember, you can upload a recipe that uses new Earth Balance® Organic Coconut Spread or MindfulMayo™ any time to win a coupon. We’ll feature your recipes on Made Just Right™!