- Prep Time : 25 min
- Cook Time : 20 min
- Yields: 12
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon and 1 pinch xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (OPTIONAL)
- 1 cup dairy free, soy free milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 3 ounce peppermint candy canes or candies
- 1/2 cup dairy free, soy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dairy free, soy free milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance® Soy Free Buttery Spread
- 1/2 cup dairy free, soy free shortening
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 4 tablespoons dairy free, soy free milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Whisk together flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt (and optional cocoa powder). Set aside,
4. Stir lemon juice into 1 cup milk and set aside.
5. In a small saucepan, over high heat, stir together flax seeds and water until begins to boil.
6. Lower temperature to medium-high heat and continue cooking flax mixture for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
7. Use a hand mixer or electric mixer on medium speed to beat together oil and sugar until fluffy (about 1 minute).
8. Beat in 2 tsp. vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract.
9. Add flax seeds mixture in 2 parts, beating well after each addition.
10. On low speed, add milk mixture.
11. Then add flour in 3 parts, beating well on low speed after each addition until combined.
12. Use a large cookie scoop to fill each cupcake liner 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full.
13. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick entered in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
14. Remove muffin pan from oven and let cupcakes cool in pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, before removing from pan and cooling directly on rack.
15. Lightly crush candy in a blender, food processor, or by sealing in a plastic bag and hitting with a hard object.
16. Reserve 2 1/2 tbsp roughly crushed pieces, then “puree” remainder into very fine flakes – powder.
17. In a small saucepan, warm 1/2 cup milk on medium-high heat.
18. Once milk begins to boil, remove from heat and, immediately, stir in chocolate and maple syrup with a plastic spatula until smooth.
19. Add 3 tbsp. of peppermint candy cane powder and 1 tsp. peppermint extract and stir for about 1 minute longer.
20. Let ganache sit a few minutes until ready to fill completely cooled cupcakes.
21. Using an electric or hand mixer on medium-high speed, beat together Earth Balance® Soy Free Buttery Spread and shortening until fluffy (about 1 minute).
22. On low speed, add ½ the sugar and beat until fluffy (about 1 ½ minutes).
23. Add 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and 4 tbsp. milk, and then beat to combine (about 1 minute).
24. Beat in remaining sugar on low speed.
25. On high speed, beat frosting until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
26. Add 3 tbsp. reserved candy cane powder and continue beating on high for 1 minute.
27. Spread or pipe frosting over completely cooled and filled cupcakes, and sprinkle with larger pieces of candy cane.