- Prep Time : 20-30 min
- Cook Time : 18-20 min
- Yields: 12
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1 cup refined sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 cup Earth Balance® Organic Original Soymilk
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance® Natural Shortening
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance® Organic Coconut Spread
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Earth Balance® Creamy Coconut and Peanut Spread
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir together the ground flax and water. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, refined sugar, cocoa, baking soda and sea salt.
In a separate bowl, stir together the applesauce, vanilla extract, brewed coffee, Earth Balance Organic Original Soymilk and flax + water combo.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
1. Spoon the batter into cupcake liners until each are nearly full.
2. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
3. Make the frosting by mixing together the Earth Balance Natural Shortening and Earth Balance® Organic Coconut Spread on low-medium speed.
4. Add in the remaining ingredients (except for the coconut flakes) and continue to mix until fully combined.
5. Top the cupcakes with the frosting.
6. Sprinkle each cupcakes with coconut flakes.