- Prep Time : 25 min
- Cook Time : 25 min
- Yields: 16
- 1/3 cup nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance® Vegan Buttery Stick (1 whole stick)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 ounce vegan dark, semisweet or milk chocolate chips
2. Spread nuts on a baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes, until lightly toasted. Cool, then chop and set aside.
3. Melt Earth Balance® Vegan Buttery Stick in a saucepan over medium heat or in a bowl in a microwave.
4. Stir in sugar and vanilla, then stir in salt and flour.
5. Spread mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Place back in oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and using a knife or offset spatula, spread the chocolate evenly over the shortbread. Sprinkle with nuts.
9. Set aside to cool. When cool, remove shortbread from pan using the ends of the foil as handles. Place on a cutting board and cut into squares.
10. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks at room temperature.