- Prep Time : 45 min
- Cook Time : 21 min
- Yields: 8
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 3/4 cup Cane Sugar
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1/3 cup Safflower Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Soy Free Earth Balance® Buttery Spread
- 4 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Boiling Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon Soy Free Earth Balance® Buttery Spread
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Hot Water
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
2. Sift together the dry ingredients except for baking soda.
3. Stir in wet ingredients except for apple cider vinegar.
4. In a small cup or bowl, add vinegar to baking soda and stir together. While it’s bubbling, stir it into the cake batter until smooth.
5. Fill cake pans evenly and bake for 20-21 minutes or just until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
6. PREPARE PEPPERMINT FROSTING
7. Beat together Earth Balance® Buttery Spread, powdered sugar, water, salt and peppermint extract until smooth.
8. Place plastic wrap directly on frosting or place an airtight cover on frosting so that the top layer doesn’t crust.
9. PREPARE GLAZE (optional)
10. Melt vegan chocolate chips and Earth Balance® Buttery Spread in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir until all chips are melted.
11. Stir in powdered sugar, salt and Hot Water and stir until smooth.
12. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
13. After cake cools, level both layers and frost with Peppermint Frosting. If using glaze, use a spoon to drizzle around the cake.