- Prep Time : 15 min
- Cook Time : 20 min
- Yields: 12
- 1/2 cup Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar, preferably organic
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1/2 cup Millet Flour
- 3 tablespoons Corn Starch or Tapioca Starch
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 pinches Sea Salt
- 1 Large Apple, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Dairy-Free, Sour Cream (for the filling)
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance® Buttery Spread (for the Gelt Ganache)
- 12 ounce Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Chips (for the Gelt Ganache)
- 12 individual pieces of silver or gold, Dairy-Free chocolate Gelt (for decoration)
2. Line Cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the Dairy-Free Sour Cream, Almond Milk, Apple Cider Vinegar, Vanilla Extract, Applesauce and Sunflower Oil. Whisk until no lumps remain.
4. Add Sugar. Sift in Gluten-Free Flour Blend, Millet Flour, Corn or Tapioca Starch, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt. Stir, then fold in the apples.
5. Pour batter in to lined cupcake tin filling about 3/4 of the way. Put in oven and cook for about 20 minutes, or until golden-brown on top or a toothpick/fork inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. When they are done baking allow them to sit in their pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to plate or cooling rack to finish cooling.
6. When the cupcakes are still mostly warm, use your thumb or a spoon to press a hole into the center of the cupcakes. Then dollop a small amount of the remaining Dairy-Free Sour Cream in to each cupcake so that the holes are completely filled.
7. FOR THE GELT GANACHE: Over Medium heat on the stove, melt the Earth Balance® Buttery Spread and the Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips. Stir almost constantly to prevent burning. Use a spoon to dollop and smear the Gelt Ganache all over the top of the cupcakes, starting from the center (where the Sour Cream is) and going outwards, covering all of the cake.
8. Peel back the foil on 12 pieces of Gelt, so about 1/3 of the Gelt is foil-free. Insert the Gelt into the center of the cupcake (where the Sour Cream is).
9. Voila! You are done!