Happy Chanukkah! Anyone who has celebrated Chanukkah knows of Latkes! Delicious fried or baked potato "pancakes" topped with sour cream, applesauce or BOTH! And when the tummies are full and the smiles are wide, we play with Dreidles. And what's a good game of Dreidles without some CHOCOLATE GELT? So to honour this fantastic holiday I though to myself, "What kind of cupcake should I bake that incorporates classic Chanukkah food items?", and VOILA! These cupcakes were born! They are styled much like a Boston Cream Doughnut, what with their Sour Cream filling and thick Gelt Ganache topping. But remember the cake, which is loaded full of applesauce and chopped apples. This little cupcake is mind-bogglingly delicious AND eye-catching! Seriously! There are SHINY THINGS sticking out of the top! Tharr be gol-err, SILVER in 'em hills... Are you going to EAT your way to the silvery goodness? Let me know how many bites it takes you (but I promise I won't further quote any not-to-be-named candy commercials).
- Prep Time : 15 min
- Cook Time : 20 min
- Yields: 12
- 1/2 cup Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar, preferably organic
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1/2 cup Millet Flour
- 3 tablespoons Corn Starch or Tapioca Starch
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 pinches Sea Salt
- 1 Large Apple, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Dairy-Free, Sour Cream (for the filling)
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread (for the Gelt Ganache)
- 12 ounce Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Chips (for the Gelt Ganache)
- 12 individual pieces of silver or gold, Dairy-Free chocolate Gelt (for decoration)
2. Line Cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the Dairy-Free Sour Cream, Almond Milk, Apple Cider Vinegar, Vanilla Extract, Applesauce and Sunflower Oil. Whisk until no lumps remain.
4. Add Sugar. Sift in Gluten-Free Flour Blend, Millet Flour, Corn or Tapioca Starch, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt. Stir, then fold in the apples.
5. Pour batter in to lined cupcake tin filling about 3/4 of the way. Put in oven and cook for about 20 minutes, or until golden-brown on top or a toothpick/fork inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. When they are done baking allow them to sit in their pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to plate or cooling rack to finish cooling.
6. When the cupcakes are still mostly warm, use your thumb or a spoon to press a hole into the center of the cupcakes. Then dollop a small amount of the remaining Dairy-Free Sour Cream in to each cupcake so that the holes are completely filled.
7. FOR THE GELT GANACHE: Over Medium heat on the stove, melt the Earth Balance Buttery Spread and the Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips. Stir almost constantly to prevent burning. Use a spoon to dollop and smear the Gelt Ganache all over the top of the cupcakes, starting from the center (where the Sour Cream is) and going outwards, covering all of the cake.
8. Peel back the foil on 12 pieces of Gelt, so about 1/3 of the Gelt is foil-free. Insert the Gelt into the center of the cupcake (where the Sour Cream is).
9. Voila! You are done!