- Prep Time : 75 min
- Cook Time : 40 min
- Yields: 45
- 11 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 3 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup Earth Balance® buttery sticks
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 ounce package of silken tofu, pressed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 pint vegan whipping cream or other full-fat non-dairy milk
- 1 3/4 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance® buttery sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 45 pecan halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
2. Melt the Earth Balance, bittersweet and semisweet chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Whisk in cocoa powder.
3. Puree sugar, pressed tofu, and vanilla in a blender until smooth. Place tofu mixture in a large mixing bowl, add melted chocolate mixture to the bowl and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the flours and baking powder together and then add to the chocolate mixture.
5. Stir until no more flour is visibleâ€”a few lumps are okay. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. While brownies are baking, place all caramel ingredients (whipping cream, corn syrup, sugar, and butter) in a large heavy saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir occasionally, and heat until candy thermometer reaches 235F. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
7. At this point, the brownies should be done. Poke holes all over the brownies with toothpicks. Pour half of caramel mixture over brownies and use a spatula to spread the caramel and push some of it through the holes poked in the brownies.
8. Immediately press the 45 pecan halves into even rows on the caramel. At this point, you can drizzle some more caramel over the pecans and store the rest in a jar in the refrigerator for other delicious treats (ie, over apple pies or sundaes, or more brownies!). Cool or let sit until room temperature.
9. Once set, melt chocolate and milk over low heat until smooth. Pour into a ziplock bag and cut a small corner of the bag. Drizzle chocolate over brownies diagonally. Let set.
10. Then lift edges of foil to lift out brownies. Cut with a large knife into brownies, with each brownie square having a pecan. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy