Whether you call them Hot Wings or Buffalo Wings, a good veganized version of this classic pub food is quite the treat… especially when no actual wings are involved! These spicy and delicious mouth bombs are now back on the vegan plate for all to enjoy. Temper the heat with some creamy vegan ranch dressing and a side of celery or carrot sticks and you’re good to go!
Today’s tantalizing tofu based recipe comes to us from Sabrina Modelle of the fabulous blog, www.thetomatotart.com, and they are guaranteed to spice up your day… or night!
Ingredients for Tofu
1 package medium-firm tofu
1/2 cup corn starch
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon dried mustard
1 tablespoon organic sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
1 teaspoon pepper
Grapeseed oil for frying
Ingredients for Wing Sauce
1/4 cup Earth Balance® Natural Buttery Spread
5 oz hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon molasses
1 tablespoon red vinegar
Pinch of salt
Read on for the directions, then leave a comment and you could win some free Earth Balance®!
– Slice tofu into 1-inch cutlets and drain in colander lined with either paper towels or lint-free cotton towels. Place a heavy bowl on top of the tofu, but be careful not to break the slices. Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes.
– Mix flour, corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
– In a separate dish, mix smoked paprika, mustard, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
– In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, melt “butter.”
– Once melted, whisk in hot sauce slowly (1/4 of the 5-oz bottle at a time).
– Whisk in the molasses and vinegar and allow the mixture to come to a low boil.
– Lower heat and reduce mixture for at least 5 minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness, then remove from heat.
– Press remaining moisture from tofu and cut into strips one and a half inches thick.
– Coat tofu sticks in spices, shake off excess, then coat in cornstarch mixture.
- Very gently press down with the heel of your hand to flatten the strips. Dredge once more in corn starch mixture.
– Over a moderately high flame, heat enough grapeseed oil to cover the full surface area of a large sauté pan.
– Add tofu strips and cook for two to three minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
– Top with wing sauce and serve.
We love the heat Sabrina, thanks for sharing your recipe!
Now we’d love to hear from all of you out there. What are your favorite spicy vegan foods?
Let us know in the comments below and you’ll be automatically entered to win FREE Earth Balance in our Everyday Giveaway!